- 4 cups chicken broth;
- 1 pinch saffron threads;
- 1/4 cup olive oil;
- 1 onion, chopped;
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced;
- 4 cloves garlic, minced;
- 2 tomatoes, chopped;
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika;
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces;
- 1 cup Spanish paella rice (short-grain rice);
- 1 cup frozen peas;
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined;
- 1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded;
- Salt and pepper to taste;
- Lemon wedges, for serving.
- In a small pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the saffron threads and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large paella pan or a wide, shallow skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and red bell pepper and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the minced garlic and chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes have started to break down.
- Add the smoked paprika and chicken to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is browned on all sides.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat with the oil and spices. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Pour in the saffron-infused chicken broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas to the pan and stir to combine. Continue to simmer the mixture until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and the rice is tender, about 5-10 minutes more.
- Add the shrimp and mussels to the pan, nestling them into the rice mixture. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through and the mussels have opened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the paella directly from the pan, garnished with lemon wedges.
I hope you enjoy this traditional Spanish paella recipe!